What Is Elderberry?
Elderberries are the small, almost black fruits of an elderberry tree. The elderberry tree is original from Europe, and across the sea into Morocco and Algeria. Also native to some regions of western and central Asia. Naturalized in areas of North America – especially the northeast.
Elderberry Health Benefits
Some experts recommend elderberry to help prevent and ease cold and flu symptoms.
Elderberry fruits, leaves, and flowers are strong antioxidants.
Elderberries are a low calorie food packed with antioxidants.
One cup (145 grams) of fresh berries contain 106 calories, 26.7 grams of carbs, and less than 1 gram each of fat and protein.
Plus, they have many nutritional benefits. Elderberries are:
- High in vitamin C: There are 52 mg of vitamin C per cup of fruit, which accounts for 57% of the daily value.
- High in dietary fiber. Elderberries contain 10 grams of fiber per cup of fresh berries, about 36% of the daily value.
- A good source of phenolic acids. These compounds are potent antioxidants that can help reduce damage from oxidative stress in the body.
- A good source of flavonols. Elderberry contains the antioxidant flavonols quercetin, kaempferol, and isorhamnetin. The flowers contain up to 10 times more flavonols than the berries.
- Rich in anthocyanins. These compounds give the fruit its characteristic dark black-purple color and are a strong antioxidant with anti-inflammatory effects.
The exact nutritional composition of elderberries depends on:
- the variety of plant
- ripeness of the berries
- environmental and climatic conditions
Therefore, servings can vary in their nutrition.
Homemade elderberry syrup recipe
- 3/4 cup dried elderberries
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup raw honey
Start by simmering some dried elderberries with water for about 45 minutes.
Once the liquid is reduced by half, you drain the liquid. I use a fine mesh strainer which makes it super easy.
Make sure the liquid is cooled, and then you can add raw honey.
Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will last for about two months.
For adults, take 1 tablespoon daily and for children, 1 teaspoon daily.
Have you tried our Black Elderberry Sypup?
VEGAN | ADAPTOGENIC | EXTRACTED WITH RENOWNED ANTIVIRALS
Our Elderberry is double extracted, undergoing through both a decoction, as well as extracted in alcohol and vegetable glycerin.
This is a very high potency extract combining elderberry, along with a high ratio of herbal antivirals such as Skullcap baikalensis, Cordyceps, Reishi, Shiitake and Maiitake. These herbal antivirals are incredibly immune supportive while being renowned for being respiratory tonics. All of our mushrooms are 100% certified organic grown in Washington state, where we use both fruiting body and mycelium.